On the evening of February 28th, we hurried over from McCallum High School to Wooldridge Elementary for an evening family science night, which kids loved. We also worked with roughly 250 students in 1st-4th grade on March 1st, and we had amazing help from several Austin park rangers and from Vivian Loftin.
Here are some teacher quotes about the program, gathered by Melody Alcazar (Cities Connecting Children to Nature):
- It was amazing experience for all students!
- I loved that there were different activities and each leader was able to share their knowledge in an exciting way for the students.
- It was so educational and hands on!
- My kids really loved the presenters and how engaging they were. My kids also really enjoyed the cave activities.
- I liked all that was explaining with real examples. Something that we cannot do in class.
- I liked how interactive and hands on the whole experience was. The kids really got a lot out of it and loved the new adventure.
- The students loved the whole experience! They couldn’t stop talking about it!
The survey also found that 10 out of 10 teachers said “Yes” when asked, “Would you like your students to participate if the CaveSim is brought back next year?” These teachers rated the CaveSim experience a 9.5 out of 10.