Quick links: Main instructions page
Initial setup is done once per event.
- Don't use the awning that is attached to the side of the trailer. It is broken and dangerous.
- Don't allow the electronics to get wet. If it is raining or snowing during setup, minimize the amount of time that the doors are open. Especially watch out for the computer monitors.
Do's (roughly in order):
- Choose a location where the sun will not beat down directly on the entrance and exit (see above).
- Stabilize the trailer (see above).
- Find an electrical outlet. A single 120VAC, 15amp circuit is fine. A generator with true sinusoidal output is also fine. If you use a generator, you must use a grounding stake to earth the generator. Otherwise, the CaveSim sensors will malfunction. Run a cord from this power source to the trailer. Be sure that your cord does not have a broken ground connection.
- Open the side doors. Latch the side door open with the grey plastic dongle. If it is raining or snowing, you must first set up a shelter to protect the computer monitors.
- Turn on the computer. If the monitors don't come on, turn them on.
- Turn on CaveSim.
- Crawl into CaveSim and remove the formation protectors (the fleece things). Stow these in the trailer where they will not blow away.
- Go into the entrance and install the soda straws by screwing them into the little threaded rods in the ceiling. The soda straws should be located in a bag in the entrance passage.
- Open the back door of the trailer and...
- Remove the table from the back and set it up just to the left of the computer monitors, along the side of the trailer. If the event offers you a table, use their table instead.
- Find the PVC pipes on the left wall. Inside, you will find two CaveSim banners. Use duct tape to afix these to the outside of the trailer. One goes on the wall to the left of the monitors. The other goes on the nose of the trailer (driver side).
- Walk along the left corridor until you get to the emergency door in CaveSim (look for the steel framed plywood door). Loosen the three cleats that hold this door closed. Open the door and step into CaveSim. Do the following:
- With your right side toward the door opening, look forward. You will see a formation that looks like a raft on a column. It should have a large piece of foam under it. Remove the foam and place it in the hallway of the trailer.
- Look for the sewn webbing ladder (etrier). Make sure that it is hanging down freely so that participants can climb up it.
- With your right side still toward the door, squat down. On your front left, you will see a black fuzzy bat. Look up and to the right. If Dave gave you a box of formations to install, screw one of the large ones into the threaded rod that you see. If there is already a large formation there, remove the fleece holder.
- Stand up, step out of CaveSim into the corridor, and close the door. Rotate and tighten the three cleats. Do not over tighten.
- Locate the padded pouch on the left wall. In the pouch are educational materials and field telephones. Put these on the table near the monitors. Use rocks, water bottles, or other heavy objects to keep the materials from blowing away.
- Locate the sked (green plastic stretcher, rolled up). Get it out, unroll it for kids to observe.
- If you are at an outdoor event, locate the green popup tent.
- With at least four people, pop this tent up near the entrance. Use it to shade the entrance and exit gates, which can malfunction in direct sunlight.
- Locate the sandbags at the back of the trailer. Use sandbags to hold down at least three of the tent legs. Sandwich each leg between two bags to hold it down.
Quick links: Main instructions page